Wednesday, June 5th 2013
Latest Beach-Ready-Body Progress Update - and Then Some...
Ok - so, it's official - I'm "Beach-Ready" as you can see in the recent photos below... And for the most part - I'll just be on 'cruise-control' to stay in this great Summer zone...
Let's go a bit deeper now...
[caption id="attachment_975" align="alignnone" width="536" caption="Joey Atlas: 21 y.o. VS 43 y.o."][/caption]
"That Was Then, This is Now" - 22 Years of Wisdom & Tips Outlined Here:
1 - Many people say “It’s harder to stay in shape now that I’m older...”
Well, right here, I’ll debunk that ‘myth’...
It has actually gotten easier for me. My workout sessions are maybe one-third of what they used to be in the old days (in terms of time spent training) - and they are more effective.
It has all gotten psychologically easier too. I look forward to all my fitness activities. In the old days, I had to hold a tough, demanding, iron-clad commitment to my training regimen and diet.
I believe people use that myth to (attempt to) self-justify their behavior. Just sayin’...
2 - In the old days,
my training took so much out of me, I hardly had energy for much else... My body needed a lot of recuperation between workouts...
Now - my training enables me to do so much more. Sure I work out hard and give it all I got - BUT, the style of training, enhances not only the form of my physique, BUT also my ability to function at optimal levels for all the things I enjoy doing...
Biking, hiking, kayaking, surfing, swimming, soccer, frisbee chasing... I can do it all - and still have energy to spare for whatever else I want to do.
3 - My fluctuations throughout the year were drastic and unhealthy
in the old days. My weight could be anywhere from 125-LBS to 165-LBS depending on what time of year it was - and what things I may have been dealing with in my life at that time...
Now, I maintain a healthy, strong and balanced body-weight between 125-LBS to 135-LBS (the 135-ish is usually during our Winter season).
4 - The evolution of my training
methods & nutrition habits has dramatically reduced the aches and pains I deal with - and I mean DRAMATICALLY.
5 - Old friends (who used to be in awesome shape)
see me know and just shake their head in wonder... asking “How have you managed to keep your physique in tip-top condition, even though we are in our 40’s now???”
The reason is
, staying fit and healthy has gone beyond just what I see in the mirror, or what I want others to see when they look at me... It is mostly about taking care of the one body and life I’ve been given... It’s about taking care of my health and well-being - being responsible for the condition I’m in... Giving myself the best life possible - and getting the most out of it in all regards.
6 - I want to continue to be “the example”...
to show people what is possible - not “tell” them what might be possible without doing it myself... I want to walk the talk. There is profound power in that
[caption id="attachment_977" align="alignnone" width="279" caption="21 y.o. - Northeastern Natural USA"][/caption]
[caption id="attachment_978" align="alignnone" width="253" caption="43 y.o. - Beach-Ready-Body Update"][/caption]
New Updates from AtlasVille:
A- Many arrows and signals are pointing me toward
securing a beach business location to enable me to bring you more of what you want - and more of what can help you stay fit for life.
Today, I went to one of my regular spots in Atlantic Beach and did a full lower-body workout. Just me and the sand... Awesome - and my lower-body is feeling it right now :-)
I am looking at options, to take this beach/outdoor fitness training to the next level - and things can get interesting in the next few weeks... Stay tuned for that.
B - As mentioned in a recent email,
you’ll be hearing about some new local fitness friends, who have some superb material they’ll be sharing with us during the next few months... This husband and wife couple have been through their own “ups and downs” of fitness - and have come up with some sweet and powerful solutions... 2 great, modest people in fantastic shape...
And, yes - just like me - these ‘middle-agers’ catch eyeballs of the 20 year-olds when we are kicking around on the beach...
You’ll enjoy their stories and the ultra-helpful things they’ll be sharing with you... So, stay tuned for that.
C - It’s June - that means July will be here soon,
and I’ll be heading up to New York (Westchester, Brooklyn, NYC, Long Island, etc..) for some Summer work and fitness activity - mixed in with visiting family and friends along the way...
D - My support team has been getting email inquiries for reasons outside the norm
- so I’ll answer some of them here:
- Yes, I do one-on-one, private fitness coaching (via phone or in-person) - ON A VERY LIMITED basis.
- Yes, I also do VERY LIMITED business development/marketing consulting. This is time-consuming, so I don’t do much of this.
- Some bold women have been asking if I’m married, single, etc....
Just for fun
- I won’t post the answer here (...keep the mystery going)... BUT, those who’ve been following closely enough should know the answer - or maybe not :-)
ok - that’s it for now... I’ll be expanding on some of the points above over the next few weeks and months - so you’ll want to stay tuned for all that...
, It’s Father’s Day this Sunday (here in the USA) - so make it a great one for all the Dad’s in your life... I’ll be celebrating it on the beach with my 3 rabbits... The conditions are looking ideal for lots of fun activities (surfing, body-boarding, etc...)
I always love hearing your thoughts, comments and questions - so use the space below and give it a go :-)
Your trainer for life,
- Joey Atlas
Monday, April 15th 2013
Here are the photos I promised the other day - and some up-to-the-minute "stats":
- as of this morning my body-fat% is now hovering around 10%
- my body-weight has dipped below 130-lbs a few times here and there
- my energy levels are sky-high and pretty even-keeled
- with the increase in water lost through sweat, I'm adding a little more pink sea-salt to my meals for the natural, full-spectrum electrolytes (this is very HELPFUL).
- In these photos, I'm modeling yet another pair of my "old-school, $5, cut-off sweats". ...Amazing thing is, this particular pair dates back to my college days... Made to last!! lol...
[caption id="attachment_963" align="alignnone" width="377" caption="Mid-April Beach-Ready-Body Update: front"][/caption]
[caption id="attachment_964" align="alignnone" width="346" caption="Mid-April Beach-Ready-Body Update: back"][/caption]
- I'm really not planning on changing anything, or "trying" to get leaner, etc... All this has been happening with the change in climate - and my daily preferences for activity - and food(s).
- Any changes that happen from here forward will be natural effects of climate and lifestyle during this time of year in North Florida.
- I'll carry on the same fitness routine when me and the kids head up to New York, to visit family and friends, at the end of the Summer. Even though we won't have the same beach-time activities - we will surely get more trail-hikes and nature-walks in.
4 - A reminder:
My overall aim is to maintain an "athletic" look. A healthy and functional appearance. One that is not easy to see when fully clothed - but when the shirt comes off - it is clearly evident I'm "on a program". You can think of it as a "stealth" physique
Ok - as always, thanks for reading - and if you have any thoughts, comments or questions, please post them below - I'd love to hear from you...
Your trainer for life,
- Joey Atlas
Saturday, April 13th 2013
ok - a quick update for you - with my personal tips and tweaks as well...
After you read today’s update - you can check out where this all started a few months ago with:
(If you look over to the right - you'll see them under "LATEST HOT POSTS")
For now - let’s get into the latest-latest info...
Here’s my current status:
- My weight has dropped a touch more, and I’m hovering at around 130-lbs
- Body-fat% is down to about 11%
- When I post the latest photos in a few days
you’ll see a sure difference from the last set of photos, which I took about 3 weeks ago.
- Hearing more cat-calls from ladies of all ages during beach visits. While most of these are executed in tasteful and classy fashion - I’d still prefer a face-to-face “hello” and a gentle handshake.
- Noticing more double and triple-takes from both male and females out and about, usually during beach activities.
Ok - so , here are my tips and tweaks for the last few weeks:
- I’ve gone down to one piece of all-natural/organic bread for my “late-morning”, Perfect breakfast sandwich. Going from 2 to 1 pieces hasn’t left me hungry at all. I do take smaller bites and enjoy every chew of this smaller, beach-ready-body breakfast.
- There were several mornings/mid-days where I was on the go, running errands of all sorts and I basically stopped in for a double-skinny-mocha at my favorite coffee shops (Whole Foods has an awesome coffee-bar here in Jacksonville) to hold me over until I could get back to home-base for some food. When I do this it thoroughly satisfies me for several hours - Awesome.
- I’ve added a few new recipes to my personal Spring/Summer menu. I’m usually just cooking for one - but I always make several days worth so I have meals for 2-4 more days - or I freeze some for future eating. Here are 2 of them:
Each of these is a short pdf - you can click and print - then MAKE & EAT :-)
They are both from the 500 Fat-Burning Recipes CookBook
( *created by Chad and the Team at Fit-Era* )
1 - Fat-Burning Healthy Cookie Recipe
[caption id="attachment_938" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Fat-Burning Healthy Cookies"][/caption]
2 - Fruity Flaxseed Protein Muffins
[caption id="attachment_948" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Fruity Faxseed Protein muffins"][/caption]
I also have one for Fit-Body Buffalo Wings which I'll be sharing in the next day or two - so stay tuned for that...
In the meantime - if you have any questions, comments of thoughts - just post them below :-)
Your trainer for life,
- Joey Atlas
Tuesday, March 26th 2013
A few weeks ago I posted My Wild Before and After Experiment With Vulnerable Photos
- feel free to read that if you missed it the first time...
I felt timing these posts and updates around my 43rd birthday would give them more ZING and meaning
Spring has arrived and Summer gets here VERY fast in Florida - which means lots of time and activities outdoors and at the beach.
So, here is my 2.5-week Beach Body progress update
(the photos below were taken about 7 days ago.. this post is delayed by about a week due to a tight schedule)...
- As you can see, the upper body hair is gone (except for my forearms).
- light tan has started as more outdoor/beach time is natural this time of year
- body fat has dropped a little.. down to about 12.5%
- total weight is down around 2-3 pounds (around 132-LBS)
Metabolism/Food Intake Changes:
- My breakfast is now actually around 11:30am (I do have some black tea with stevia and organic skim-milk when I wake up, with my morning supplements
- and then after my morning cardio workout, I do have some organic carrots and strawberries - and some more black tea.)
- My activity levels have increased a bit. The weather is warming up in north Florida... So, more outdoor time. Darah is now riding a bike WITHOUT training wheels, so I can run in the morning and she rides along-side me... Then we throw in 1 or 2 more rides throughout the day :-)
- I've shifted to "leaner" breads for my 11:30am breakfast sandwich. 2 slices max out at around 160 calories - and there is more protein and fiber content as compared to traditional breads. I'm getting the itch to start bringing steel cut outs and nuts into my breakfast rotation - so I may alternate between the two...
- I make sure there is always a supply of low-calorie, nutrient dense veggies and fruits - ready to go. These "feel better" in the warm and hot Spring/Summer months. And they fill in the "hungry" gaps during the day and evening, between the meals I already have planned.
- I get both doses of Metabo223x
in before I eat lunch, which for me is around 3:30pm. So, dose #1 is with my morning black tea and the 2nd dose is around noon with some carrot sticks and strawberries. When it gets hotter in a few more weeks (lots more sweating during activities), I'll add my electrolyte supplement to this mid-day ritual.
Stay tuned for the next update
- I'm aiming to have progress photos and other insights for you in about a week to 10 days from now.
Please share your thoughts, comments and/or questions below - I'd love to hear from you.
Your trainer for life,
- Joey Atlas